Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Olympiakos 0 - 3 Arsenal

My last post included some erroneous predictions.  Giroud was the hero, not Ramsey.  In my defense, I did get the winning margin correct, there was a PK goal, and Ramsey got an assist.  I'm delighted my optimism was warranted.  We played very well, especially Giroud, whose ill discipline in Zagreb was the main reason we were in this hole to start with.  He redeemed himself totally.  Now all that remains is for Alexis to heal, Wilshere and Welbeck to return, and to beat whomever we draw in that first round.  I sure hope it's not Real or Barca.

A bonus is having Manchester United play Thursday nights in the Europa League.

Walcott is starting to look like his pre-injury self, which is welcome (though I wish he'd learn to play defense), especially now that Ox seems to be having a crisis of confidence.  I'm really impressed with Ramsey these days.  Our back four does what they have to, on offense as well as defense.  Cech is awesome.  Boy was I wrong about passing on him and keeping Szczesny.  And Joel Campbell!  It took a series of injuries, but he bided his time and when it came he seized it with both hands.  I actually think he could be our striker in a pinch.  Maybe I missed it, but I don't remember any Debuchy-like whining about not starting from Joel.  In his current form, he should start ahead of Walcott and Ox when Alexis comes back.  Ozil was carrying a slight injury but still did his job beautifully--what a pro.

Back to the league!  We're coping with the injuries, but we sure miss Coquelin.  Flamini has done the business, but he hasn't shown the athletic ability or the discipline of the guy he's replacing.  Every game is an adventure for every club.  The first side to find its groove could run away from the others and not get caught.  Please let it be us!

No comments:

Post a Comment