Wednesday, April 25, 2018

Arsenal Alums Come Good, and Anticipating Tomorrow's Clash with Atletico

I'll start with the bad news:  Ox's awful-looking injury yesterday early in Liverpool's demolition of Roma.  I read that he's going to miss the World Cup (where he might well have started) but be fit for the start of next season.  AOC was a popular figure at Arsenal, for good reason, and I've always liked him a lot.  He was having a really good season at Liverpool and this is a real blow for him (and England and the Reds).

Giroud is Chelsea's latest hero, after coming in late and turning a 0-2 loss into a 3-2 win in the EPL against Southampton, then beating the same opponents in the FA Cup semifinal with this brilliant goal, one of the FA Cup's finest ever.  I love Olivier and am happy for him.  I hope he repeats his heroics against Man U in the final to keep them at 12 Cups (to our 13).

I don't love Alexis and wasn't sorry to see him start slowly at United, but he's gotten hot recently and won their FA Cup semi for them against Spuds.  Good for him.

Finally, Theo Walcott is doing what Big Sam wants and influencing games for Everton.  He won their league clash against Newcastle with the only goal of the game.  He's playing more defense, though he's not great at it, and doing his usual thing making good runs, putting in excellent crosses, and getting called offside.  He deserves to start regularly somewhere, and Everton is a good club.  Ox's injury may leave a seat open on the plane to Russia for a right winger.

________________________________

I don't know what to expect tomorrow at the Emirates.  I can see us winning 4-1 or losing 0-2.  The freak injury to Elneny is rough on him and on Arsenal, but word is that he should be OK for the World Cup, where he'll be crucial to Egypt's success.  But we're in trouble in midfield, without much cover for our obvious Ozil-Ramsey-Xhaka starting triangle.  Jack just doesn't look effective lately, and throwing Maitland-Niles in there could be a disaster (though he's my first choice should we lose a starter).  Nelson and Willock just aren't ready, and I don't see Iwobi as a credible central midfielder.

A lot depends on Welbeck rising to the occasion.  You know Lacazette will keep the Atletico CBs busy with his energetic movement.  I don't expect Mkhitaryan back so soon, so I guess it's Iwobi out wide right; he's a weak point the way he's playing recently.  Our defenders are going to need some cover.  I have no idea what's wrong with Kolasinac, but at this point he's unlikely to be thrown into an important game no matter how healthy he is.  I suppose he might be a late defensive replacement if we've got a lead we want to protect.  If Kos isn't 100%, I'd rather see Holding in there, but a healthy Kos is still our best and smartest defender.

Hoping for the best!

No comments:

Post a Comment