Friday, May 18, 2018

Arteta Out!

Just practicing. 

Actually, I like this move.  We always knew Mikel was a leader and had a fine football brain.  He's steeped in the Barca-Arsenal-Guardiola ethos.  I've read that he wasn't the most popular figure in the Arsenal dressing room, and I don't mind that at all.  He won't be a pal anymore, he'll be the boss.  I hear he's looking to hire Santi, so he's got a good cop on the staff.  There won't be a lot of money to spend on new players; Arteta will have to get the most out of the guys on hand, which he's as likely to be able to do as any, having played with most of them.

Bellerin may be more inclined to want to stay, now that a fellow Spaniard is in charge.  The big question is Ramsey, who's out of contract a year from now.  They need to resign him.  I'd like Jack to stay, but if he doesn't, that's not as big a loss.  The attack is already quite potent; where we flopped this season was on defense.  There were too many mistakes (Cech and Mustafi were especially guilty) and we weren't prepared and organized properly.  After Szczesny's comments about our goalkeeping coaching, I'm not sorry to see changes there.  We do need a new #1 (I thought the Pole was fine, and frankly even countryman Fabianski would be an upgrade at this point), but I doubt we'd attract Oblak or the equivalent.  We're already working on acquiring a center half, if you believe the rumors, and I still like Chambers and Holding.  Mavropanos could be an option in a year or two.  I have not given up on Mustafi--he may need a kick in the rear and some instruction.  Nacho has at least another year in him.  Maybe Kolasinac will become that guy he was in his first few games.

We're not hopeless in midfield by a long shot.  Maitland-Niles is just about ready to contribute on a regular basis, Aaron is excellent, Xhaka was in good form the second half of the season, Elneny is reliable, Ozil could be on the cusp of greatness now that he's got Auba to assist.  The wings could use spicing up, if Mikhi isn't going to regain form.

Welbeck may be surplus to requirements, but I really like him as an insurance policy.  Laca and Auba are magnificent.  Iwobi needs to have a breakout year.

Anyway, I'm giving Mikel the benefit of the doubt, and I hope other supporters do too.  We'll know in a year if we're making progress under the new man.

No comments:

Post a Comment