Wednesday, May 29, 2019

Chelsea 4 - 1 Arsenal

No predictions in the final minutes before the game.  It could go any way, really.  Not having Ramsey is a major blow; I'd actually be fairly confident if he were fit and starting.

...

nil-nil at the half, both defenses bending but not breaking.  Ozil and Auba are being kept from much possession.  I don't know who the impact subs would be from either side.  Guendouzi is not going to scare the Blues.  I suppose Iwobi could replace Kolasinac to some effect.

...

Game's suddenly gone to shit...fine play from Chelsea, but defensive lapses are killing us.  I'm definitely not giving up, but it's a long way back now from 2-0.

And now a PK as we're overrun again.  3-0.  Can I give up now?

4-1 and I have got to admit we've been outplayed.  Too many midfielders trying to dribble through people, giveaways turned into goals.

It's over.  Honestly, Chelsea were better on the night.  No Aaron, big problem.  I'd have started Iwobi, but would that have made a difference?  I doubt it.  Lacazette did earn a penalty he wasn't awarded, but it was a close call and we didn't get it, even with VAR, it having been waved off.  If you're looking for a goat, I nominate Ozil, who did almost nothing of note the entire time he was in.  Aubameyang must have been marked out, because he didn't see much of the ball.  And when our strikers had a chance to do something good, they didn't manage to do it.

Last season:  6th place and a EL semifinal.  This season:  5th place and a EL final.  It does not really seem like progress.


No comments:

Post a Comment