Saturday, January 18, 2020

A Couple of Draws

I didn't write about the Palace game, and was tempted not to write about the Sheffield game just played, because 1-1 was so disappointing when we'd played so well.  But I honestly feel as though we're getting our Arsenal back, bit by bit.  We'd dug a hole for ourselves that we're most unlikely to emerge from this season, Europe-wise, but we're a more solid team with a real identity now.  I love the way the team supports each other, and the hustle is evident everywhere on the pitch. 

It was a fair result today, no complaints about being robbed.  The visitors had the better first half yet we scored late, and it was the reverse after the break.  There were some letoffs for both sides, and both goals resulted partly from deflections.  Mikel should be proud of the effort he saw.

I'm most excited about our future.  Some of our stars are still in their peak years, but the best news is how many Gunners are teenagers and in their early 20s.  Here's a solid foundation for you, with one gaping hole we'll cover later:

Leno is 27, quite young for a top GK
Hector is 24, Kieran 22, Rob's 24, Calum just under 25, Saliba 20, Sead's 26 and Ainsley 22
Lucas is just under 24, Joe and Matteo are 20, Granit 27, Smith-Rowe 19
Nicolas is 24, Reiss 20, Eddie 20, Martinelli 18, Saka 18

Okay, I know Saliba may not make in the EPL, and Holding and Chambers are no one's idea of top-class central defenders, though I think they're good.  That's our main issue, and I think it can be addressed in the summer.

I want to see more progress this season, of course.  But I'm really confident that next season Arsenal will be top four contenders again--I'll think we'll make it, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment