Thursday, January 28, 2021

Purple Patch in the League, Bounced From the FA Cup

 This not watching Arsenal thing is working out.  Instead of agonizing over every missed chance and misplaced pass, I just check LiveScore every so often--too often--and try to distract myself with other things.  It doesn't always work.  I listened to the audio for the last ten minutes of the Southampton win.  I watch the highlights after we win, and try to forget what happened if we lose.  Our position in the table has improved since Christmas, but we're still in 9th and would be in 11th if the teams with games in hand win them.  But we're rather close to the Europa League places and not entirely out of touch with top four (though there are a lot of teams above us that have five or more points on us, and games in hand).  But we can only beat the team in front of us, which this Saturday will be Man U, which just got beaten at home by the league's bottom side, Sheffield United.  I'll start to believe we've turned the corner if we can get three points off the Red Devils.  A point would be acceptable. 

The Cup loss to Southampton was regrettable but with all the injuries it was only a matter of time until we were eliminated.  The draw did us no favors, but we were beaten by a squad that was better on the day. 

Well, personnel moves are really coming together. The Odegard loan might be very good.  We finally say goodbye to Ozil and Sokratis (I liked the big Greek, but he was surplus), and it looks as though Mustafi is going.  I'm not sure about AMN and Nelson, and hasn't Torreira left?  It looks as if Balogun does not see his future at Arsenal, more's the pity.  Chambers isn't going anywhere.  We're still a trifle light on #10s, but between Odegard and Smith-Rowe it could be enough, now that it's just the EPL and EL to deal with.  If Partey stays fit, we could have a very nice midfield setup.  It's a good mix of veterans and young guys, too.

I don't know what Auba's "personal issues" are, but they have to be serious for him to miss games.  Let's hope it gets resolved, for his sake.  He seems like a nice guy.  In the meantime, we have just managed to plug the scoring gap, between Laca, Saka, Pepe, Martinelli, and cameos from a couple others.  I'm not sure where Nketieh fits in anymore, but I still like him.  We may have to sell.

Lampard fired...it seems dumb to me.  Man U stuck with Solskjaer through the rough patch and it was the right move.  I'm convinced Arteta is the man for Arsenal too, and I hope he is the manager next year wherever we finish this season.

1 comment:

  1. A point it is. Considering the absences, it was a good point, in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete