Sunday, November 1, 2015

Swansea 0 - 3 Arsenal

A perfectly dreadful first half was not punished because Cech bailed us out once again.  Gomis's inept finishing helped too.  Arsenal turned it on in the second half and easily outclassed the Swans for a deserved three points.  Some points of interest (to me anyway):

Giroud showed why he's so important for us.  His hold-up play was superb.  The header was exquisite.  I love the way he used Mert's jersey to sling himself around him and get away from his marker!  Yes, he missed a golden opportunity on his left foot in the first half, but let's forget about that first half.  My heart was in my mouth when he clutched his knee and writhed on the turf for a few minutes.  He seemed fine in the second half, and disappointed at being taken out for a defensive replacement.

Fabianski.  I have always liked him, but never more than yesterday when he dropped the ball at Koscielny's feet so Kos could sweep it into the vacant goal.  Well done, Lukas!

I was convinced that Joel Campbell would never really be an Arsenal player.  In fact, I think I wrote that in my last post.  But he stepped in and did the job, all over the field.  He did not look out of place.  On a day when Alexis was not looking much like Alexis, and Bellerin needed a lot of help containing Montero, it took a lot of energy and confidence to contribute the way Campbell did.  It was great to see him score near the end.  He will need to turn in more performances like that in the coming weeks.

So, we got the result we needed most.  We kept pace with City at the top of the table (!) and pulled within four in goal difference.  Man U dropped another two points in another dreary 0 - 0 draw.  I still don't get Leicester, but until Jamie Vardy cools off I guess they'll be contenders for Europe.  West Ham looked more like the West Ham I know and lost to Watford.  I can only hope that Tottenham comes back to earth.  The NLD looms large now.  I'm not expecting much in Munich, but we could get lucky, I guess.  A point would be fantastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment