Saturday, August 20, 2016

Leicester City 0 - 0 Arsenal

We were somewhat fortunate to escape with a point as the number one and number two teams from last season huffed and puffed but could never apply the finishing touch to their many chances.  Leicester would have gotten both their penalty shouts last season, but Clattenburg was having none of it today.  I thought the first was not a penalty, but the second was, though just barely.  From the referee's angle, they looked shoulder to shoulder, and Musa was clearly looking to go down at any hint of contact.  But when you kick the back of an attacker's leg after he's passed you, you generally get called for a foul.  Bellerin was very fortunate.

Speaking of good fortune, Coquelin was once again lucky to be on the field at the final whistle.  He was good all game, and I know that aggressive defense is his game, but it seems he's playing on a yellow card for 70 minutes every time I see him start.

I have to say that it was a good spectacle, with lots of end to end action and nice saves from the GKs.  But I'd rather we win every game comfortably while I'm sitting instead of pacing around and yelling in frustration at every misplaced pass.

I like to rate the players (not numerically) before I see the blogs do it, so here goes:

Cech was sure and composed.  Great game.  Bellerin is relying a bit too much on his speed.  I liked the way he played today but he was beaten, or out of position, way too often.  Monreal was excellent once more.  Koscielny was man of the match for me.  Holding was as good as you can expect a 20 year old to be; I have no complaints.  Coquelin managed to walk the tightrope while playing the destroyer to perfection.  Xhaka was disappointing; perhaps he took his defensive duties so seriously he forgot to make those raking passes he's famous for.  Cazorla looked pretty good to me in the #10 role, but had fewer options than he should have.  Walcott did OK, but just OK.  AOC was the busier and more dangerous-looking winger, but like Walcott, has trouble passing the ball in tempo.  Alexis had a poor game for him; I thought he'd be able to outmaneuver their relatively immobile CBs.  But give Leicester credit.  They collapsed on us well when we had the ball in their area.  Ozil was the only substitute who made a positive difference.

Decent point.  And now we should have all our players back from the Euros--and who knows who from the transfer market?

No comments:

Post a Comment