Friday, August 12, 2016

Ugly Americans

I missed the USWNT game today, a loss after PKs to Sweden.  From all accounts, Sweden bunkered in and got a very nice goal that the US matched.  Hope Solo made an ass of herself by calling the Swedes "cowards," for which she was justly pilloried by nearly everyone.  The writeups of the game also noted she tried some gamesmanship by pretending she had a glove problem before the last PK.  She's a very good goalkeeper, but she needs to be dumped from the team, in my opinion.  She's dragging them all down in the class department.

I did see most of the group stage games, and I thought the US was flat.  I've never seen them play so poorly in a tournament.  They really seemed to think they were so much better than everyone else that all they had to do was show up.  They gave away stupid fouls, they misplaced passes all over the pitch, and their tempo was way too slow.  Finishing was dreadful too.  The neutrals will be delighted, and I don't blame them.  We deserved to be dumped out of the tournament early.  We stank.

No comments:

Post a Comment