Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Jamaica and Szczesny

I fully expected Mexico to dismiss Jamaica on Sunday.  But Andre Blake had other ideas, and Mexico ran out of ideas late on, so the one bit of poor goalkeeping all game did el Tri in.  It was a fine free kick, decent pace, over the wall, and just under the bar, but the Mexican keeper didn't even move, and it was a yard and a half inside the post.  Blake would have tipped it over.  Anyway, this makes me happy, because I think the US matches up better with Jamaica (yes, I do remember the last Gold Cup).  I predict a 3-1 US win tonight.  Dempsey sets a new record (PK), and Altidore and Nagbe are the other scorers.  Since no one reads this blog, I can be bold.


I was sure that Szczesny would be Arsenal's goalkeeper of the future, taking over after next year's apprenticeship under Cech.  But he's earned an even better apprenticeship under one of the greatest keepers of all time, Gigi Buffon, for an even bigger club, Juventus.  Full credit to him for making the most of the faith Roma placed in him.  His decisionmaking is improving, he's courageous, he's a leader, and physically he's got all the tools.  I expect him to take his place between the sticks as Juve's #1 in 2018 and establish himself as world class for 8 to 9 years.  Since Juve is my #2 favorite club, this feels like I'm not really losing him.  Gotta say, 10M pounds seems cheap for Italy's gold glove winner.

No comments:

Post a Comment