Saturday, May 27, 2017

Arsenal 2 - 1 Chelsea (FA Cup Final)

[I had a post done on the day of the final, but it was messed up somehow, probably by me in my excitement.]

What a glorious day for Arsenal Football Club and its supporters.  You know all about the game; here are the official highlights.  I would not have given our first goal had I been carrying the whistle, but we were good value for the win, creating more chances and generally bossing the game for long stretches even before Moses picked up those two yellows.

I'm proud of everyone who wore the shirt today.  There were no weak links out there.  The biggest difference I saw was the focus and commitment on defense.  I was very worried about not having Kos available (suspension), but Per was majestic and he was ably partnered by Holding and Monreal.  Costa got his goal (he and Cahill were Chelsea's best players on the day), but it was erased seconds after the restart by Ramsey's header off Giroud's exquisite cross.  Bellerin, Ramsey, and especially Ozil spurned opportunities to make the win comfortable, but it did not matter in the end.  The Blues were flat, the Gunners at the top of their game, and the better side won.  I looked at a Chelsea supporter blog and they recognized it too.

I'll comment on the fallout from the board meeting a little later.

Meanwhile, it's Huddersfield Town, a club with some old Arsenal connections, that will be joining Brighton and Newcastle in entering the EPL next season.

No comments:

Post a Comment