Wednesday, May 3, 2017

Monaco 0 - 2 Juventus

Supporting multiple teams has advantages.  When the #1 favorite is not doing well, one can take solace in the successes of one's other adopted enthusiasms.  Here is an attempt to list the teams I support, in descending order of affection:

Clubs
Arsenal
Juventus
DC United
Roma
Notts County
Fiorentina
Celtic
UNAM Pumas
Dortmund
(many others, like PSG, Melbourne Victory, 1860 Munich, York City)

Countries
USA
Italy
England
Mexico
New Zealand

There's not a lot of rhyme or reason to any of that list, except for USA and DC United.  Some I've adopted because an acquaintance turned me on to them (e.g. Notts County); but most were born of pure whim and grew into strong passions (like Arsenal) or mild interests (Victory).  My attraction to Roma was strengthened when Szczesny was loaned to them, but I've liked them for a while.

Anyway, Juve has made me happy today by taking a two (away!) goal lead over Monaco in the first leg of the Champions' League semis.  I don't forgive Monaco for being the beneficiary of Arsenal's generosity two years ago in the ECL, so I am hoping the Bianconeri can seal the deal next Tuesday.  Two fantastic finishes by Higuain off superb assists from Dani Alves, one in each half, should be all Juve needs.  but you never know.  Monaco actually was quite dangerous, and should have scored.  Juve actually did a better job throttling Barca.  It's hard to believe that the best clubs in Europe have been unable to score against the Old Lady for six game now.  They looked very sharp today.

No comments:

Post a Comment