Sunday, February 25, 2018

Arsenal 0 - 3 Manchester City (League Cup)

Our improbable run in this cup ended ignominiously as we were humiliated  by a far superior team.  I told my family that it we were going down 4-0 before the game, but I told them the same thing before the FA Cup final last May.  You never know.  But today, we were beaten all over the pitch.  Bravo was never worried; not even he could screw up badly enough to gift us a goal, though he tried.  It was Mustafi who was in a generous mood, failing to do a damned thing to hinder Aguero as he collected a goal kick and dinked over a helpless Ospina.  He looked offside, but they had VAR and I assume Chambers or Kos kept him on when Mustafi decided to stay wrong side of Aguero.

The other two goals showcased City's other talents, and our lack of organization.  Suffice it to say that the scoreline flattered Arsenal, who may have gotten a shot or two on goal all game, and not many shots at all.  There's no point running down the whole roster; as a unit we stank.  Seriously, City would have had a harder time with almost any team in the league--all four divisions.  It was that easy for them.  Our guys knew it too.  They looked frustrated and dejected long before the final whistle.  And they knew we had to face the same juggernaut four days from today in front of the restive home fans.

I swear that were I in Kroenke's place, I'd fire Wenger tomorrow.  It's that desperate a situation, not just for this season but for this group of players.  When I have the energy, I may opine on what needs to happen for this club to reach the level it achieved in the early Wenger era.  But not today.

No comments:

Post a Comment