Thursday, March 1, 2018

Arsenal 0 - 3 Manchester City

At the half, when I'm writing this first paragraph, I have to say I am not feeling as down on the squad as I was at the half on Sunday.  I'm annoyed at how easily City sliced through us, and am wondering where the hell our central midfielders were, but we could have had a couple goals ourselves had the finishing been better or the defense not so lucky.  Anyway, we have another 45 to play and if this finishes 6-0 then we'll have to accept it and start preparing for Brighton.

...OK, full time, and City managed the game to perfection.  Aubameyang took a poor penalty that was saved smartly, but otherwise Arsenal's attacks were smothered without incident.  I believe we outshot them, but there's no question who was going to win this game.

I don't think we made a substitution.  It's as though Wenger has forgotten he's a manager.  If we weren't ever going to turn this around, there's Brighton to think of on the weekend.

I didn't see the players give up.  I will not be dumping on them.  I love Ramsey; he never stops running.  Kolasinac seems to have gotten his full speed back. 

This is a weird feeling for me.  The season hasn't lost meaning this early since I've started following the Gunners about 20 years ago.  There's still Europa League, but it seems fanciful to imagine us winning that after the Ostersunds second leg debacle.  I'll be watching and hoping, but I have no expectations there.  We're going to finish 6th, so there's no "fourth trophy" to work towards.  Our visit to Old Trafford is the only time we'll be playing a top five team.  It's a matter of grinding out wins in the games we have left, if we can, and trying to beat our European opponents (Milan's first up).

No one's reading this blog anyway, so I may take a break from it on occasion.  It's primarily a way for me to get the feelings out of my system and sort out how I think about the club and the way we're playing and how it's run.  I wonder if I shouldn't transfer some support to DC United, who inaugurate their new stadium this summer.  Juve is still on Napoli's tail in Serie A, so there's that.  (If only they can nip Spuds in their ECL second leg...)

No comments:

Post a Comment